The major muscle in your bum is the gluteus maximus. This muscle works hard when you extend your hip.
Here are my top 3 exercises to work those glutes – do all 3 in this order 3 times a week. Build up to 3 sets of each exercise of 15-20 repetitions.
- From a standing position make sure your feet are shoulder width apart with toes slightly pointed out..
- Keeping your weight in your heels, bend at knees as if sitting in a chair.
- Keep eyes looking forward and back straight, not rounded.
- Return to starting position
Please note its always best to get professional help if you have never done a squat before as squatting badly can result in knee and back injuries.
- From a standing position stand with your feet under your hips (so not shoulder width apart)
- Step forward as far as you comfortably can,
- Bend both legs to 90 degrees. keep your back straight – do not round your back!
- Push off front leg and return to start position.
Repeat for the desired repetitions then do the other leg
Bent-Knee Hip Extension
- Start on all fours with your knees bent directly under your hip bones, weight supported on elbows
- Keep your hips tucked up toward the ceiling to prevent arching your back.
- Keeping knee bent, lift left leg through full range of hip motion up toward the ceiling. Do not lift thigh above your hips.
- As you lift, contract and squeeze your gluteals.
- Lower the leg and repeat.
Please note its always best to get a professional to coach you if you have never done any of these exercises before to ensure you avoid knee and back injuries.